Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Book Munchies

I've been a bookworm since graduation. While in school I would want to bury my nose in a good book occasionally, but my studies destroyed my motivation to read leisurely. Now that I have no more academic required readings I decided to participate in "book mooching" via bookmooch.com. My sister - queen of the bookworms - introduced me to the website last summer. Despite her constant pleas for me to join, I did not have the time or patience to give it a chance.

It's a nice concept. You post books you want to give away and in return you receive points to "mooch" other books. The only fee is the postage to mail books to moochers. Yet I'm debating whether to continue with it since my first mooching attempt was successful, but not so pleasant. I got a request for my book Up High in Trees by Kiara Brinkman from a woman in Illinois. I kindly sent it to her and was quite miffed when my feedback comment from her was "Thanks, though the book was really bent because it wasn't packaged well."

The remark put me right back in the classroom and made me feel like a teacher was scolding me on a barely passing grade. Though I am suspicious of this moocher (the book was thick so it couldn't have been that bent and points are refundable, if the giver agrees to do so... just think about that) it angers me. This is a recreational activity that's supposed to be fun, not something to be graded on.

No comments: