Sunday, August 10, 2008

School's out... forever?

As summer fades into fall and my siblings are frantically finishing up summer reading and shopping for dorm accessories before another nine months of academia I'm trying to comprehend that, for the first time since preschool, I will not be returning to the land of learning.

Yes, I am happy about this. I've successfully earned a degree. It still is strange ending something that has been so constant. It's like removing training wheels off a bike. For the majority of my life, I've had teachers and textbooks to guide me.

But as I learned (the hard way) as a child, keep those training wheels on too long and there will be that kid who notices and gets the whole neighborhood chanting "SCAREDY CAT, SCAREDY CAT!"

And I am no "scaredy" cat.

No comments: