Sunday, March 30, 2008

Sicily

Last Sunday I returned from my nine day excursion of Sicily, a little drop of paradise off the coast of Italy. I spent the week with my photojournalism and travel writing class capturing the character and culture of Sicily and its people. My eyes are still sore from being wide with awe everyday.

On our first full day we ventured to the ancient Greek city of Selinunte. We were blessed with a sunny day, perfect for exploring and taking photos. Even though the temples are now in ruins, the architecture is still a work of art in its tragic beauty. Curiosity lead me and a few friends to journey up the hills surrounding the ruins. The trail is so white it could pass for pure marble. Once at the top I was able to enjoy the scenery with the only sound being the distant hum of bees pollinating.

We spent a entire day in the city of Cefalù, located on the northern coast of Sicily. During my time there, I became enamored with the place. It has friendly residents, peaceful beaches and culture meshed together. Every person I conversed with was patient with my novice Italian speaking skills. Hand gestures and warm smiles helped with the communication process too.

The beaches here weren't crowded with the beauty queens roasting themselves found in the states. The beach goers appeared to be enoying the natural beauty surrounding them. Not acting like a sun sponge face down in the sand.



We were fortunate enough to witness the mesmerizing sight of Mt. Etna, an active volcano. Even though Etna spills out lava every so often, those who live at the base love her. They love how fertile her ash from eruptions make their soil. The last big eruption was in 2001-2002, and there are piles of hardened lava everywhere on the mountain as a result. My only disappointment with the visit to Etna is that we didn't get to stay long enough.

This is only a brief summary of my time in Sicily. I'll post more about my trip later. As hard as I try though, no words can do the wonderful sights and experiences of the country any justice.

No comments: